The furniture we interact with on a day-to-day basis plays a significant role in affecting our comfort, productivity, and overall satisfaction. Whether working remotely or from inside the office, maintaining good physical and mental well-being can lead to higher productivity and overall happiness. An unhealthy workplace can result in high levels of stress, burnout, and turnover.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services:
“The workplace has a significant impact on a person’s physical, mental, and social well-being.”
“84% of respondents said their workplace conditions had contributed to at least one mental health challenge.”
“81% of workers reported that they will be looking for workplaces that support mental health in the future.”
Here are 9 tips on how to achieve a healthier workplace environment, featuring Steelcase & partner realted products:
1. Ergonomic seating: Invest in ergonomic chairs like the Steelcase Gesture or Series 1 to support proper posture, reduce strain, and prevent discomfort during long hours of sitting. Furniture that can be adjusted to individual needs, such as chairs with adjustable armrests and lumbar support, allow for personalized comfort and a healthier workspace.
2. Sit-stand desks: Encourage movement and flexibility with a height-adjustable desk like the Steelcase Migration SE. Migration SE allows users to switch between sitting and standing throughout the day, promoting better circulation and reducing the risk of health issues associated with prolonged sitting.
3. Natural light & greenery: Incorporate natural elements into your workspace, such as plants and access to natural light. Blutdot’s PLOT planter helps create greenery-filled spaces, as plants create a more pleasant and visually appealing environment that stimulate creativity and focus.
4. Breakout spaces: Designate areas for relaxation and mental breaks. Turnstone’s Campfire collection offers comfortable lounge seating and informal meeting spaces, allowing users to recharge and socialize away from their desks.
5. Quiet zones: Create dedicated quiet zones using Steelcase’s acoustic solutions like On the QT phonebooths. These booths provide privacy and reduce noise, allowing employees to focus and manage stress levels.
6. Collaborative spaces: Foster collaboration and creativity with flexible furniture options such as the Steelcase Flex Collection. Flex creates spaces that can be rearranged on-demand creating environments teams and individuals need to do their best work.
7. Organization & decluttering: Keep workstations organized with storage solutions like the Steelcase TS Series Pedestal. A clutter-free workspace can reduce stress and improve focus.
8. Encourage movement: Integrate movement into the workday with products like the Turnstone Buoy, an active seating option that promotes core strength and balance.
9. Air quality: Improve air quality by adding air purifiers or selecting furniture made from low-emitting materials. Guardiair provides effective air filtration and visibly communicates to people that the air is being cleaned—building trust and reassurance in a time of doubt.